Lindsay

Lindsay - from Co2BL

I love reading Romance, music, NKOTB, my dog, baseball and J.J. Hardy.

The Prequel was better.

The Rental - Rebecca Berto
Prior to starting this book, I read the prequel novella Masquerade. I enjoyed that. It was a nice set up for this book. It set up the attraction between Vee and Rick. And I loved Rick's POV. I loved his personality and his struggle to stay away from Vee because she was still too young for him. The reason I bring this up is because everything I loved about the novella was missing in the book.

Don't get me wrong, the book wasn't bad. But it was from Vee's POV and she just didn't do anything for me. I didn't hate her POV in the novella, but I loved Rick's. So I was slightly disappointed that The Rental started from Vee's POV. But I kept reading, and hoping that Rick would get a POV. But then the book kept going and before I knew it, I was at 50% and it was the Vee show. I missed Rick and being in his head. To me, Vee came off as a spoiled girl that thought of nothing but what she wanted and how she was right and knew everything. I really disliked her drug usage. I didn't feel it was necessary to the story. And since it was all Vee all the time, I never felt an emotional connection between Vee and Rick. And I know it was there at some point because I felt it in the novella.

I was intrigued by the premise of The Rental, and the job Vee ends up with. It was an interesting twist and it threw quite a monkey wrench into their relationship. They are able to explore their attraction to each other during sessions with clients, but while the scenes were steamy, I was really hoping for more one-on-one time for them.

While I was intrigued by the overall premise of this, and completely drawn into the prequel novella by Rick, I'm not sure I would continue with the series. I would need more than just Vee and to know that they were going to have a real relationship with some time with just the two of them.