Lindsay

Lindsay - from Co2BL

I love reading Romance, music, NKOTB, my dog, baseball and J.J. Hardy.

The Man Plan - Elise K. Ackers This book…had a little bit of everything I was looking for. It was a nice, fluffy, fun romance. No extreme angst, no drama that rips your heart out…just a fun romance.

I loved the relationship between Cora and Matt. And not just the romantic relationship, the friendship too. From their first meeting, I was captivated. I loved the banter and overall interaction between them.

Cora, who was trying to adjust to life after the death of her father, decided that she wanted to find someone special, settle down and have kids. So, she developed a plan…The Man Plan. Matt…was not part of the plan. He barged into her apartment and her life after she kept him awake with loud music. Their first interaction left me with “I’m going to love this couple!”

Looking tired and irritable, he touched his fingers to his eyes and sighed. “I don’t know how to tell you this, but here goes: you do not live in the country.”

Cora arched a brow and considered slamming the door. “Come again?”

“You don’t live on a farm. You live in an apartment building. So when you play Adele on full volume – for what I’m sure is the tenth time but I’ve lost count – most of us can hear you. Especially the poor bastard living below you, who is just trying to get some sleep.”

Her eyes rounded. Cursing, she hurried from the doorway and silenced the offending music.
When she returned to the front door she was feeling sheepish and embarrassed. “I’m sorry,” she said.
“Uh huh. Try to suffer in silence next time.”
“Suffer?”
“You just get your heart broken or something? What are you listening to that crap for over and over again?”
“It’s not crap. It’s empowering.”
“Well, I just got my heart broken and I say differently. If I hear that album again I’m going to buy a drum kit, understand?”
The corner of Cora’s mouth curved. “You’d lose more sleep just to teach me a lesson?”

Matt pulled Cora’s plan out of her and his parting shot had me cracking up,
”I want a husband.” She started ticking the list off on her fingers. “I want kids. I want the big family barbeques in the park. The crazy weekends because this kid has sport in one place, and this kid has recital in another. I want to wake up beside someone every day, and pine for them when we’ve spent too long apart. In short,” she shrugged and dropped her hands to her sides, “I want it all.”

“Just a heads up,” he said, “you sound terrifying. When you fall for a guy, don’t tell him all of that.”

She laughed. “I won’t. I’ll pretend to be really grounded. He’ll think I’m living in the now when really I’ll be trying out how my name sounds alongside his surname.”

“Atta girl.”

And with that, their friendship was born. I loved each and every interaction between them. He was able to tease her about her plan and even called her “Crazy” as a nickname. Not many women would be ok with that nickname, and not many guys could get away with it. But it worked between them. And seeing him call her that always made me smile.

Now, this wouldn’t be a friends-to-lovers story if they didn’t start to fall for each other…and fall they did. Neither of them were expecting it, but it happened anyway. I loved all the little scenes where Matt got jealous of the attention Cora paid to other guys, or the dates she went on. And when he finally realized that he was in love with her…my heart seized for him. He was so terrified of it. He was pretty much blindsided by it.

Cora on the other hand…had a more gradual realization that she was in love with Matt. She was so set on finding her “perfect guy” that she didn’t even realize that she was falling for him.

My only complaint about the book was the ending. There was a HEA, and it was a nice ending but it was so sweet that it was a little cheesy. It didn’t fit the rest of the book. The rest of the book was full of snark and spunk but the end was nothing but sweetness. There wasn’t anything really wrong with it but….it didn’t feel like it fit.

**Free copy of this book provided by the publisher via NetGalley**